Writing Contest Eligibility & Guidelines
All students must meet the eligibility and guideline requirements to enter any writing contest through Technical Communication:
- A University of Michigan engineering undergraduate student enrolled for at least one term between January 2023 and January 2024.
- A student may not submit a manuscript that has won a previous award for the same writing contest.
- Entries are limited to one per category.
- A student may submit entries to more than one contest or prize each year, but the entries must be different pieces of work. That is, a single piece of writing can be submitted into only one competition, but students may submit different entries to different contests.
- The author’s name (or authors’ names) must be removed or changed to pseudonyms to prevent any bias in the judging. In addition, names of college faculty, graduate students, or staff should be removed or changed to pseudonyms when these names are not important to the substantive content of the document. If the names of the college faculty, graduate students, or staff, however, are integral to the non-fiction document’s content, they can remain within the document.
- If an entry receives an award, the author must agree to indicate in a footnote or otherwise that the manuscript was granted a prize in the awarded contest in the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan. The year of the award must also be indicated.
- Decisions of the judges are final. Judges reserve the right to not award prizes if submissions do not meet required standards.
Submit your work to the Technical Communication Writing Contest!
All submissions are due on January 31, 2024! All required materials must be received by the deadline in order to be eligible for consideration in a competition.
Any questions about eligibility or guidelines can be directed to:
Technical Communication Program Office
301 Gorguze Family Laboratory